We couldn’t have done it without the musicians, venues, partners, volunteers and community members who contributed their time, talent and passion for music and our region!
Mark your calendars for the next Make Music Day: June 21, 2019
SPOTLIGHT EVENTS of 2018
Make Music Hartford Kickoff Concert
- 8:00am – 10:00am Three performances in the Bushnell Plaza Sculpture Garden. Start your morning off right with a multi-genre concert downtown!
Free Lessons & Workshops
- 10:00am – 10:30am: Bucket Drumming at the Bushnell Plaza Sculpture Garden. Drummer Kirk Woodard will give free bucket drumming lessons and lead the group in bucket drumming grooves. All are welcome! Presented with Vic Firth.
- 11:00am – 11:45am: Brazilian Drumming Workshop at Trinity College with Eric Galm. Open to all ages and abilities. Enjoy and participate in Brazilian Samba music.
- 11:00am – 2:00pm: Harmonica Lessons at the Billings Forge Farmers’ Market with Tim Quinn. The first 100 people to attend the lessons get a free Hohner harmonica to take home!
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Hip Hop Lyric Writing Workshop and Cypher at Park Street library. Poet and actor LAUGH will guide you through lyric writing and a hip hop circle cypher.
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm: Dance Workshop and Drumming at Ropkins library. Learn to move to the beats of Hartford’s Proud Drill, Drum & Dance. Catch a performance by the whole group!
- 4:00pm – 4:45pm: Bucket Drumming at Barbour Street library. Drummer Kirk Woodard will give free bucket drumming lessons and lead the group in bucket drumming grooves. All are welcome! Presented with Vic Firth.
- 4:00pm – 4:45pm: Free Beginner Guitar Workshop at TheaterWorks. Bring your guitar down to the theater for a free beginner lesson from guitarist Jeremy Galloway.
- 5:30pm – 8:00pm: Yoga Class and Kirtan Concert in Elizabeth Park. Vasu Studio and Hearts Wide Open Kirtan will host a free all levels yoga class followed by a Kirtan concert.
Play Along Events
- 11:30am – 1:30pm: Community Jam Session in State House Square. Bring your instrument downtown and jam with the Art on the Streets House Band led by Mike Carabello.
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: Sing-Along in Bushnell Park. Sing, dance, clap and play along to familiar Latin songs including Guantanamera, Oye Como Va, La Bamba, and more.
- 12:00pm – 2:00pm: Dueling Drums on Bartholomew Ave. Parkville Sounds will host Dueling Drums outside their studio. Drummers, bring your sticks. Full back line available!
- 1:00pm – 1:30pm: Kazoo Mass Appeal on Pratt Street. Join Chion Wolf in a gathering of kazoo players. Free kazoos for the first 100 people to participate! No musical experience required!
- 2:00pm – 3:00pm: Sousapalooza at Connecticut’s Old State House. Bring your brass and woodwind instruments and be a part of the group performing the songs of John Philip Sousa!
- 2:00pm – 3:00pm: Improvised Musical Comedy at the Camp Field library. The comedians of Hartford’s Sea Tea Improv will produce an on-the-spot, family friendly musical. Add your suggestion to the show.
- 2:15pm – 3:15pm: Singing of the Hallelujah Chorus at St.Patrick – St. Anthony. Calling all vocalists. Join the Hartford Chorale in a workshop and group singing of Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus.
- 4:45pm – 5:30pm: Guitar Jam Session at TheaterWorks. Guitar players of all skill levels are invited to join a guitar jam session hosted by Jeremy Galloway outside the theater.