Make Music Port Townsend is a live, free all ages musical celebration on June 21, the first day of summer! We make it ourselves with concerts, jams and music meet-ups city-wide. Join us!
Make Music Day is a City-Wide festival for all ages to celebrate the first day of summer with music-making of all kinds and in all musical genres! This is the Olympic Peninsula’s only Make Music Day festival – joining 750 cities celebrating world-wide. We welcome you to join in the fun, delight your musical self, share your talents, raise your voice and expand your creative horizons. Anyone can host, perform, teach, lead or come to learn, play or listen. All events are free (with donations welcome). The scope of this event grows organically as more people join in!
Partner and Venues as of 5/19/17 include: Songwriting Works at the Cotton Building, Key City Public Theatre Playhouse, The Boiler Room, Centrum at the Cotton Building, Crossroads Music, Port Townsend Visitors Information Center, PT Arts Commission.
What’s happening or can happen?
Performances • Jam sessions • Sing-alongs • Drum circles • Dance with live music • Music lessons and workshops • Ukulele meet ups • Open choir rehearsals • Community sings • Musical theater listening party • Musical storytelling • music and poetry • all kinds of improv • Spontaneous group songwriting • Music in care and service settings • Instrumental + vocal whale-song inspired music at the Visitor Info Center! • Etc!
How to join in:
Sign up today to be a part of Make Music Port Townsend as a performer or as a venue! You’ll be prompted to register and create your password and profile. Venues seeking hosts and/or performers and performers and participants seeking events find one another through the “Participate” link.
3 Ways to Participate:
>>Host an Event, Convene a Jam or Teach a Lesson!
• Create a music-making time and place for people to play for 30 mins or longer any time on Wednesday 6/21.
Host it at a patio, backyard, favorite street corner, or community hang-out – or connect with a traditional or non-traditional venue, outdoors or in. Or offer a workshop or lessons (any instrument),by clicking Participate – venue. Any number of “gigs” and “meet-ups” can happen.
• If you’ve already booked an event on Weds June 21 and want to list it as part of Make Music Day – great! – follow the same link and click Participate – venue.
>>Play! Sing! Collaborate! at one of the hosted spaces or create your own!
• Join in by clicking Participate – play. You’ll find venues or hosts listed to share your music – perform, jam, learn, collaborate. As more people hear about Make Music Day – more opportunities will be offered. Check back to see what’s developing or take the lead!
• If you’d like to both perform and host click “both” – and you’ll have two places to enter your profile and begin connecting.
>> Come to Listen (in most cases no sign up is required, check the listing)
Volunteer, Sponsors and Supporters are also needed (see support!)
Questions?? Contact us!
This event will thrive with your support!
Make Music Day – Port Townsend is a grand collaborative that brings music-lovers and music-makers of all kinds – professionals and learners, alike — together with arts organizations, established venues, businesses and non-traditional performances spaces for a great day of celebration.
While all events are free of charge or “pay as you wish” (unless otherwise noted), your support ensures our success allowing us to:
• Reach more people and maximize diversity of people, ages, and cultural/musical styles
• Represent more kinds of music
• Connect more music learners and players with teachers and song/jam leaders
• Provide music for those who are isolated or don’t have easy access to live music
• Broadcast some sets on the internet to further expand access
• Support music in every neighborhood and for all ages
• Show your support for music and the arts!
Event Background: In 2016, inspired by stories from France, New York and elsewhere about Make Music Day festivities, Songwriting Works (songwritingworks.org) hosted a 3hour Make Music pilot in Port Townsend in conjunction with the Visitor Infomation Center, Crossroad Music and KPTZ radio. A dozen people showed up in 3 locations to jam, sing, beatbox, offer lessons, connect, laugh and share original, traditional and wildly spontaneous songs both poignant and joyful.
This year – June 21, 2017 – will be Port Townsend’s first larger scale Make Music Day in collaboration with the national Make Music Alliance. We join with 750 cities around the world who are participating in this international event! We are the only MMD city on the Olympic Peninsula!!!
Port Townsend Arts Commission has granted seed funding and made the Cotton Building our Make Music HQ for the day.
Come join us as a supporter, sponsor, volunteer or participant! Before hand and on the day of event.
Click here to contribute. And note that your support is for Make Music Day!
Songwriting Works Educational Foundation of Port Townsend is the producer of Make Music Day PT 2017 and a 501c3 charitable organization based in Port Townsend and offering music empowerment and engagement programs across generations locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
Questions? Thoughts? Contact us!
Judith-Kate Friedman, Project Director
Micaela Kingslight, Event Coordinator