Make Music Florence is a live, free musical celebration on June 21, the longest day of the year, with concerts on streets, sidewalks, and parks across the city.
Make Music Florence is a free, citywide day of music held annually on June 21st, the longest day of the year. Our Inaugural Make Music Day festival is part of the larger Make Music Day, an international summer solstice music celebration occurring in 1,000+ cities across the globe. We hope this year, coffee shops, restaurants, retail shops, centers of worship, front porches, parks, and other locations across Florence will fill with music for everyone to enjoy!
- Music “Performed by Anyone, Enjoyed by Everyone.”
- A celebration of the summer solstice and the longest day of the year.
- A buffet of musical merriment.
- A DIY city-wide fest where anyway to make music can and will happen.
- Open to music makers of all ages, skill levels, and musical persuasions.
Annually on June 21st
Throughout the City of Florence!
- Jerry Foster, Florence Academy of Fine Arts Director
- Mayor Andrew Betterton, City of Florence
- Abby Carpenter, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library Director
- Sam Mashburn, Shoals Chamber Public Policy & Governmental Relations Director
- Rachel Koonce, City of Florence Media & Sustainability
- Mike Adams, Florence Parks & Recreation Programs Manager
- Amy Edwards, Florence Parks & Recreation Coordinator
- Rhiannon Clark, Florence Arts & Museums
- Chris Stangel, Downtown Florence Alliance Director
- Dr. Butler Cain, UNA Assistant Vice Provost for International Affairs
- Libby Jordan, Florence Arts & Museums Director
SIGN UP AS A VENDOR OR PERFORMER
Musicians: All styles, ages, and experience levels are invited to register to perform and participate on Make Music Day! You can play one set or schedule as many as you like.
Venues: Whether you have a garden, pontoon boat, sidewalk, café, or other space in mind, it’s easy and there’s no cost to participate.
- Venue Registration Is Open!
- Musician Registration Is Open & Matchmaking Is Happening Now!
Follow us on Facebook to stay up to date!
What is Matchmaking?
Matchmaking is our system of connecting musicians with venues. After creating an account, venues can browse musician profiles and vice versa and participants request a booking. A few tips:
- Don’t be shy! Feel free to send requests. It helps to put yourself out there and you can book as many shows as you want.
- Respond to requests in a timely manner. No one likes to wait to hear back. If it’s not a good fit, let the other party know so they can move on.
- Follow up! You can send direct messages through the system or reach out via phone or email.
- In the end, just about everyone who wants to participate will match up. If you need assistance, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can host?
- Is your venue located in the City of Florence?
- Is it free and accessible to the public?
- Can you maintain a 6′ clearance on the sidewalk for the pedestrian passage?
Parks: Want to claim a city park for your stage? Check out the open venues on florence.makemusicday.org.
Questions? – email email@example.com.
The following list of participant resources will help everyone prepare for Make Music Florence, whether they are venues/hosts or musicians/performers.
Step-By-Step Registration Videos
How to Create a Matchmaking Account
How to Create a Performer Profile
Who else is taking part?
Over 8 artists, including:
Audience Participants -- Cain Creek Cliff Dwellers -- Florence Indian Mound Museum -- Flowerpot Music by Audience Participants -- Jessica Hill -- Open to everyone -- The Cadillacs Band -- Various
Over 5 venues, including:
Florence Indian Mound Museum -- Florence-Lauderdale Public Library -- Manic Studios -- University of North Alabama -- Wilson Park
Volunteer, follow, share and participate in our events!
Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook!