Make Music Platteville 2021
Join us for a day of beautiful music!
Photos courtesy of Nancy Fairchild
Make Music Platteville is an annual one-day citywide, free, outdoor day of music held on the summer solstice, June 21. This year marks Platteville’s sixth year in the international summer solstice music celebration. We join over 1000 communities around the world in kicking off summer by filling the city with music. Make Music Platteville will turn backyards, front porches, museums and parks into a virtual stage, and offer a full spectrum of performers the opportunity to display their musical skills.
2021 provides us with outside performances! Check our “Participate” page.
What is Make Music Platteville?
- Make Music Platteville is: Performed by Anyone, Enjoyed by Everyone
- A way for all of Platteville to celebrate the summer solstice, enjoying the longest day of the year, while sampling a buffet of musical merriment.
- A DIY city-wide celebration when almost any way to make music can and will happen.
- Make Music Platteville is open to music makers of all ages, skill levels, and musical persuasions.
When will Make Music Platteville take place?
Make Music Platteville will take place on the summer solstice, Monday, June 21, 2021. 8:00 am-8:00pm
12:00 This Moment In Time-will be a special gathering to honor and remember those that have been affected by COVID 19. Plan to play the gong at The Mining & Rollo Jamison Museums for this special program. We will feel the vibrations over the hour in this solemn moment.
How do I register as an artist or venue?
Registration information found HERE. You will need to create an account and accept the terms of agreement. You may still register, but publicity deadline has passed. Please share your videos to #makemusicday, #makemusicplatteville
If you are an artist looking to register for Make Music Platteville, you will be taken to our registration platform. Be sure to register your ‘stay at home’ music events to be included in the publicity. Deadline for registration is June 8. We are all in this together!
.Photos courtesy of John Urness 2019
8:00-8:30 – “The M Stands for Music and Mining“. Check out the YouTube link for Make Music Platteville for this Virtual Event available for viewing throughout the day. “M” Stands for Music AND Mining today!
10:00-11:00 – Jemma / Katie’s Garden
10:30-11:30 – Whack-A-Boom / Park Place Window Serenades
12:00-1:00 – This Moment In Time / Mining & Solo Jamison Museum (Participatory!)
12:00-1:00 – Dr. Duo – / City Park. (Roy Schroedl & David Minnihan)
1:00-2:00 – Campfire Songs with Kent Scheuerell & Lou Oswald / Edenbrook Window Serenades
1:00-2:00 – TriState Homeschool Choir / The Mining & Rollo Jamison Museums
1:00-2:00 – Piano in the Park / City Park (Participatory-Pleva, Ellis, Fairchild)
1:30-2:30 – Orchard Manor Bell Choir / Orchard Manor-Lancaster
2:00-2:30 – Percussion Petting Zoo / City Park (Participatory-Hands on-steel drums, boomwhackers, etc)
2:00-3:00 – Ben Schmidtke / Edenbrook Window Serenades
3:00-4:15 – Vessels in Valleys / Katie’s Garden
3:00-4:00 – Trippers lite Band /The Meadows in Spring Green
3:00-4:00 – Harmonica Lessons with Lou / Mitchell-Rountree Stone Cottage (Free Harmonicas to participants available on Make Music Day) Free On-line Lessons TOO!
3:15-3:45 – Piano in the Park / City Park (Wood Family members)
4:00-4:30 – Alan Moore / Mitchell-Rountree Stone Cottage
4:15-5:00 – Flute Choir / City Park
4:30-5:00 – Two Maws / Mitchell-Rountree Stone Cottage
5:00-6:00 – Chris Ross / City Park
5:00-6:00 – Class Brass / Mitchell-Rountree Stone Cottage
5:30-7:00 – Dr. Duo / Backyard Concert
6:30-7:00 – Unitarian Universalist Ukulele Union / Mitchell-Rountree Stone Cottage
6:30-7:30 – Vessels in Valleys / City Park
7:00-8:00 – Open Folk Jam at the Mitchell-Rountree Stone Cottage firepit / Mitchell-Rountree Stone Cottage-Bring your guitar/ukulele/lawnchair
Activities throughout the day:
YouTube Channel: Platteville-Make Music Day
- Flowerpot Music: Bring your Flower pot. Flowerpot music
- Live From Home Challenge: Record a musical performance at home on June 21, and tag three friends to challenge them to respond with their own performances. . #livefromhome , #makemusicday, #makemusicplatteville
- Harmonica Lessons on line-Instruments available at Driftless Market on June 21 and at the Stone Cottage. Find a local teacher here
- Leaf Music: Yes-you heard it right. Learn to play a leaf! Leaf Music
- Online Music Lessons: Teachers around the world will be offering free, online lessons for a variety of instruments on June 21. Check out the schedule for MANY instruments and voice here: Free lessons all day!
- MixMash Studios: Contribute samples between June 6 and June 21, 2021. MixMash Studios
- Virtual Shower Singing: Record yourself singing in the shower (fully clothed of course) and share it to the Make Music Platteville Facebook page and/or Make Music Platteville YouTube Channel. (Check out Josh Groban #ShowerSongs) #makemusicday, #makemusicplatteville
- Music Lesson Marathon: Make Music Day is the perfect opportunity to shake the dust off your instrument and start playing again, or to pick up an instrument for the first time.Need a hand? This June 21, music teachers from around the world will offer 12 hours of free, online group lessons for 25 different instruments, at a range of levels from beginning to advanced. Jump around to sample a range of instruments, or binge on 12 straight hours of your favorite. On line lessons
- Window Serenades Selected nursing homes, and other facilities for vulnerable populations who are unable to leave their homes, are working with local Make Music chapters to invite solo musicians to serenade residents from outside their windows, while practicing social distancing.ttag Residents may tape a piece of brightly colored paper to their window to request a song.
- This Moment in time: At noon-all over the world
- Junkophonics Post your instrument on, #makemusicday, #makemusicplatteville, #makemusicday21
Questions? Contact us.
Vesperman’s Ice Cream Truck will be at the Stone Cottage! Track the Truck Hours
Check out and Like our YouTube Channel: Make Music Platteville
2021 Listings: Monday, June 21st
Make Music Platteville is a volunteer-organized event and thrives on the support of our community.
What does it cost and where does the money go? The cost of bringing the concerts to our venues across Platteville in one day is roughly $1,200.
The work of a small army of volunteers is needed to pull this off on such a limited budget, but unavoidable costs remain, including: publicity and advertising that are critical to the success of the event, software development for the matchmaking system, and many volunteers to handle the administrative aspects of the nonprofit organization.
Help cover these costs, and be part of bringing the musical merriment to the summer solstice!
Checks can be sent to:
Make Music Platteville
20 South 4th Street
Platteville, WI 53818
Make Music Platteville is affiliated with the Platteville Main Street Program, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization; all contributions are tax deductible, as allowed by law.
Make Music Platteville Receives grant from the Robert & Marian Graham Community Fund, a part of the Platteville Community Fund.
Nancy Fairchild, MMP-president; Nathan Curry, PCF Board Chair; Dan Fairchild, MMP-Vice-President
(Photo courtesy of Barb Daus 11/18)
WGLR-Guest Spotlight-April 2021
Make Music Wisconsin https://www.makemusicday.org/wi/
Check out our press coverage.
General Inquiries: Contact form
Organizer: Nancy Fairchild Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Online: https://www.makemusicday.org/platteville/
On FaceBook: @makemusicplatteville
Tag your posts with #makemusicplatteville #makemusicday #musicISlife